Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Blog 3- Eight Values of Free Expression

 


As I am taking two classes at High Point this semester that deal with law, they sometimes connect and overlap. In my first year seminar called Law, Rhetoric, and Culture, we are studying the Supreme Court case of The Board of Education v. Lindsay Earls. Before my time here at college I really did not know what the word "dissent" even meant, but as I have prepared for a mock trial of sorts for class, supporting the dissenting opinion, I have become more familiar with the practice. As I have read Justice Ginsburg's dissenting opinion concerning the case, I see how important this value of free expression is. Young people today are not taught about protecting dissent although I believe it is one of the most important values of free expression. We are told we can disagree with others, but many people of my generation do not know how to argue intellectually, so disagreeing with them gets you nowhere as they have no information to back up their claims, making them angry and defensive.  

While I strongly believe that protecting dissent is important, the value that feels most personal to me is individual self-fulfillment. Maslow's hierarchy of needs (pictured below) shows that self-actualization is at the top tier of human needs, although not everyone fulfills it. Motivation within oneself grows as the needs are met. "Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity — and, in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy." As Americans, we are able to express ourselves anyway we like thanks to the First Amendment, allowing us to define ourselves and explore who we are as an individual. Self-actualization is a quite complex topic. It has been important to me for the past few years as I am trying to find myself and figure out who I am. I used to let others define my worth and I had no voice of my own, but as I have matured and gotten out of toxic relationships, I am slowly growing into someone I am proud of. 

Somewhere most young people can express themselves as they discover who they are is social media. One of the main values I see in action today, especially in this digital age is promoting tolerance. Tolerance is defined as the "capacity to endure pain or hardship." While social media was invented with positive intentions, it has grown into the monster we see today. All media and digital platforms have made it easier for people to send hate anonymously, since it's protected by the First Amendment, it is a reality we have to live with. Although it can be argued it has made us more "tolerant" as a society, I don't think this is a good thing. We are constantly bombarded with negativity that we can't get away from because a majority of young people (including myself) are somewhat addicted to social media. I recently watched the documentary The Social Dilemma that discussed the dangers of social media, while it focused on the invasion of privacy the media platforms cause without us even knowing, it acknowledged the mental health problems it has also caused. When suicide and depression rates have skyrocketed since the invention of the internet, this "tolerance" can get out of hand, something needs to be done. Unfortunately, the documentary does not give us any sort of solid solution except deleting all of our social media, which could help, but then a young person would be more isolated from people their age as social media is their main way of communication, creating a lose-lose situation in the long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 15 - Technology: My Best Friend and My Worst Enemy

Walking around campus or even just sitting down anywhere and looking around, you will see almost all students using technology whether it...